When visiting a website directly you send a request containing your information (location, IP address, browser info etc). As a response to this data the web page will send you the data that you requested. Every computer on the internet has a unique IP address. You can think of it as the address on your mail. Now we don’t need to tell you that there are a lot of risks associated with sending your data to websites unprotected. That’s where a proxy service comes in: A proxy is an intermediary between a web user (you) and a resource (the page you're trying to access). A proxy service can hide and modify your information as well as filtering the web info to save you from getting unwanted info. Bottom line is that web proxies help you surf the web safely and anonymously.
You may be wondering how does a proxy service work?
A proxy service makes use of a proxy server which works as an intermediate connection between you and the web page you visit. Proxy servers process your web request and website data and make your browsing experience more secure.
How do they do that?
- Each time you click a link or type in web address, you create and submit a web request which is forwarded to the proxy server.
- Then the Proxy server encrypts and modifies your data (location, IP address, browser info etc) and sends it to the website.
- The website sends its data back to the proxy server which processes it and the forwards the web info to you.
A proxy service is not unlike a firewall or web filter as it makes sure you only get the data you want to receive. Now you may be wondering what:
Different types of Proxy services are there and which one is good for me?
- Transparent Proxy: Easy to use and set up, best for business, public libraries, schools etc
- Anonymous Proxy: Keeps your IP anonymous even from marketing websites.
- Distorting Proxy: Best for accessing location blocked content.
- High anonymity Proxy: Most private and secure way to browse the internet.
Benefits of a Proxy Service
- Improves Security: Acts like a firewall between your system and the web.
- Hides your IP address which makes it very difficult for hackers to access your computer.
- Privacy: Whether you're shopping, browsing, watching a movie or listening to a podcast a Proxy service makes you aren’t bothered by IP specific content and ads.
- Access location blocked content: You can set a proxy to any country you want thus allowing you access to location specific content.
- Prevent employees (or children) from browsing inappropriate sites: Proxy service can be used to block access to any site you wish.
- Improves speed and saves bandwidth